View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
touched by fairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #131
The chief of the stories of the Silmarillion, and the one most fully treated is the Story of Beren and Luthien the Elfmaiden. Here we meet, among other things, the first example of the motive (to become dominant in Hobbits) that the great policies of world history, 'the wheels of the world', are often turned not by the Lords and Governors, even gods, but by the seemingly unknown and weak – owing to the secret life in creation, and the pan unknowable to all wisdom but One, that resides in the intrusions of the Children of God into the Drama. It is Beren the outlawed monal who succeeds (with the help of Luthien, a mere maiden even if an elf of royalty) where all the armies and warriors have failed: he penetrates the stronghold of the Enemy and wrests one of the Silmarilli from the Iron Crown. Thus he wins the hand of Luthien and the first marriage of mortal and immortal is achieved
The professor considers this to be the chief story; that the unknown and weak become central to the stage is something consistent with the rest of his legendarium.
What I find particularly interesting about this letter is something a bit different than the acknowledgment about the role of the "weak and unknown" in world affairs. It is that line which immediately follows:

owing to the secret life in creation, and the pan unknowable to all wisdom but One, that resides in the intrusions of the Children of God into the Drama.

Tolkien's description of the tale of Beren and Luthien elaborates on this fascinating idea of "the secret life in creation": the first marriage of mortal and immortal.

I might say that the central core of Tolkien's Legendarium lies with this idea of how these singers engage with the Song.