View Single Post
Old 09-13-2002, 04:57 AM   #4
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HAH! I do indeed have a comment, especially about the voice of Aragorn.
The Brits went through great pains to find a voice worthy of Aragorn, and I applaud it!
You have been listening to Sir Robert Stephens, one of the least credited and meagerly worked actors of our time. If you try to look him up you'll find very little available for purchase with his name attached to it. He did some cheesy works, like "The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes" and "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" with Dame Maggie Smith but he was also an accomplished Shakespearian! My heart is rent in two when I think that he is not alive today - he died before his time. He was a contemporary and friend of Ian Holm's.
You can find his next to last work in Henry V, with Kenneth Brannagh and another friend of his, Derek Jacobi (of "I, Claudius" fame.)

I cannot think where you noted an American accent on Stephens. He has the pronounciation of his welsh ancectry, and was in my opinion, one of only a few that spoke with eloquence and dignity such as I do not hear these days. There are but two actors who stand up to his wonderful sound these days, Nicole Williamson, (who has fallen alas, due to drink, and I have not heard from him in years) and Alan Rickman, who took years of vocal coaching in RADA (The Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts.)
Back in the day, RADA was something to behold! Sir John Gielgud was staffed there, and I can think of no one whom I'd rather study under.

Please excuse my rant. it's just that out of all the people who ever worked to spread Tolkien's name, Sir Robert is the one that I shall ever love for his portrayal of Aragorn. No one will ever touch his careful and terribly noble Aragorn, not for years and years to come.

[ September 13, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]