View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #14
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
I don't think she ever had him in the sense of having beaten him. I do think he was a little surprised. Probably figured she was just waving a sword around, had maybe had a little experience with it but nothing much, and was startled by the fact she really did know what to do with it. However, even with the position she had him in I think he would have regained the upper hand pretty fast if he had wanted to.
I agree; I don't think Aragorn was playing with her. He was interrupting her testosterone kick by catching her blade with his. (And yes, blade on blade, very bad.) He wasn't playing, and he wasn't trying to start something. He was just stopping the (irresponsible?) swooshing around to say something. I don't believe he expected her to swing his dagger (it was only his dagger, after all!) out of the way.

I think Ataralasse's analysis may be right; she may have been trying to show that she's not just playing around with a sword, that she really can handle it. A lesser lesser person would concede her point. A lesser person would immediately go back on the defensive to prove a point of his own. But Aragorn, son of Arathorn, heir to the throne of Gondor, has no point to prove to the lady of Rohan, and neither concedes nor contests the point.

Do I think she caught him off guard, yes. Do I think that she could have won that battle, no. Aragorn knew there was no serious threat; she did not mean him harm, and could not have beaten him if she had.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote