View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #352
Maglor
Pile O'Bones

Maglor has just left Hobbiton.
You guys have been talking about the "epilogue"...

Right now, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I do feel that it was vital to bring the story "full circle" by informing the audience of Hurin's release and including the Morwen's poignant death sequence. But the final pages as presented I felt left a little to be desired. I didn't mind the last sequence itself; it worked well, I think. What's problematic is how we "jump" to Brethil immediately after his release with the following set-up:

"After the deaths of Turin and Nienor Morgoth released Hurin from his bondage in furtherance of his evil purpose. In the course of his wanderings, he reached the Forest of Brethil..."

Then Hurin reaches the stone. I understand that including the Wanderings poses too many problems, but I would've liked something--just a line or two even--in between to explain Hurin's mental state after release and emphasize that he had "seen" the events unfold already from atop Angband (which is merely alluded to when Hurin didn't look at the stone because he "knew what was written there").
Maglor is offline   Reply With Quote