View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 01:23 AM   #266
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I have the deluxe which is slipcased - covered with the same scabious blue cloth as the half bindings of the book. It has the dragon helm and the JRRT monogram embossed in gold. Teh slipcover of the ordinary versionis the frontispiece.

I don't know if the ordo has the same illustrations - various colour landscapes and the pencil drawings in the text . The deluxe is a larger format and has high grade paper as well as a more substantial binding. It is a "serious" book - I mean I received a hard copy of UT in the same post and while it is nice it is not in the same league. I am reading Hurin with tissue paper around the cover to prevent finger marks even .. and it certainly won't be read with a glass of wine/cup of tea/ crumpet itn the other mitt....
I've kept the plastic wrapping around the slipcase on mine for now while it's not 'put away' on the bookshelves, lest something nasty get spilled on it!

I'm very pleased with the quality of the book itself as an object - the paper is very sturdy indeed and stands up well to reading, turning pages etc. It's also not too heavy to handle easily, something that always puts me off if a book is too cumbersome to say read in a reclined position! I ended up putting my hardback of Jonathan Strange away and ony look at the paperback now because it was too heavy for me to hold and read.

Anyway, it's also got a nice look - a nice retro grey and air force blue binding and looks marvellous next to the matching deluxe Hobbit and LotR. Don't know what colour they will use if they do one of the Sil though - they've already used green, blue and a dull red for these editions.