View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #17
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I disagree. If not for Eomer, who would have made the last stand on the Pelennor in such a way as he did? Eomer's character was vital to that amazing part in the books. Eomer also let the Three Hunters go freely in his land- if not for the disposition of Eomer, the Three might not have been to pass. Also, his friendship with Aragorn is a nice touch.
Okay, what I meant was that he isn't that important. Yes, Eomer does get some important parts but he's certainly not as important as characters like Gandalf, Frodo, Aragorn, Sam, etc. His part in the books is an important one, but it is not pivotal or even central to the story, which is why his character in the movies is neither pivotal or central, though I still think he got plenty of focus and a fair share of screen time.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I would surely miss him if he wasn't a part of the story.
Eomer is actually one of my favourite characters - in the middle of all the rambling about how weak and fallen men are, he is an icon of bravery, strength and loyalty that is refreshing to read about. And I would miss him if he wasn't there. But at the same time, he's not vital - he's more a character that I like to see. If you took him out of the story, it would be less effective, but it would still work.