View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #26
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
I don't think making them sentient is the greatest problem.
I disagree; only Eru has that power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcs, Myths Transformed, HoME X
As the case of Aule and the Dwarves shows, only Eru could make creatures with independent wills, and with reasoning powers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Aule and Yavanna, Silmarillion
- Why hast thou done this? Why dost thou attempt a thing which thou knowest is beyond thy power and thy authority? For thou hast from me as a gift thy own bring only, and no more; and therefore the creatures of thy hand and mind can live only by that being, moving when thou thinkest to move them, and if thy thought be elsewhere, standing idle. Is that thy desire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #212
The One rebuked Aule, saying that he had tried to usurp the Creator's power; but he could not give independent life to his makings. He had only one life, his own derived from the One, and could at most only distribute it. 'Behold' said the One: 'these creatures of thine have only thy will, and thy movement. Though you have devised a language for them, they can only report to thee thine own thought. This is a mockery of me.'