View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #219
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Eru is a remote figure. He is not directly involved in the action to any great degree.
As far as we are aware.

It has always struck me that if Eru were to intervene in a major way or even give himself more of a character then he would be going against the inherent nature of the Judo-Christian God he may (or may not) be based on; i.e. infinite and mysterious and incomprehensable etcetera. Also, would it really be as interesting a story if he did? Gandalf is sometimes criticised as the get-out clause, but his saving grace is that he is not 'all-powerful' nor does he chose to use all the power he has and so failure is still possible for him.
Yet, if Eru Illuvatar were to intervene in a big way, then it would soon finish the story and we'd all go home for tea. The subtle workings, odd coincidences and interesting occurrences make for interesting stories as apposed to evil being simply rubbed out in a blink.
At least, that's how I have always looked at it and I reserve the right to be proven wrong...