View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #56
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
I wouldn't say any character equals any mythic or literary figure, including saying Melkor=Satan, as this reduces Tolkien's creation and Art to mere allegory.
Exactly. Tolkien would be turning in his grave and I would be very... displeased hearing anyone saying "Gandalf is Odin! Melkor is Satan! Saruman is Loki! Sauron is Gwa-bo-uhuru of the Shomgosh tribe of central Africa!" Heck, in my country, we have even a sculpture of ancient Slavic god Radegast. He has nothing in common with Radagast the Brown. Purely coincidential. There is beer named after him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
The other influence, drawn from the Eddas, a huge favourite with Tolkien, was that at Ragnarok, Loki will come down from the North with Hel and her subjects to fight in the last battle, as Melkor will do at the end of Ea. Like Loki, he too is an outcast because of the trouble he has caused: Melkor is cast into the Void by his Valar kin and Loki is chained to a rock..
I was waiting when someone is going to say this. The inspiration in Ragnarok is quite obvious (although we might argue that there could be also an inspiration in Armageddon, but this is not our topic now. After all, "Last battle" is very much common stuff). I am not very familiar with the things concerning Dagor Dagorath, but wasn't there in some version that Manwë's son should come to battle with Morgoth? (Referring to Vidar son of Odin.)
Although, with the Chaining of Melkor - especially during the first time, before the exile of Noldor - I always associated it with binding of Fenrir.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote