View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 08:00 PM   #1402
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Well we're out of the Hall now and on our way into town Form. But we have a slight problem in that I have no idea what is around the place that Kara can show you! Any ideas? What would Nain like to see?

Merry Christmas to everybody! Enjoy your days.
Náin would likely, shortly after first arriving in Edoras, have been to Meduseld to see the King (his presence being a boon from King Thorin III to King Eomer), but I doubt if he's seen much else of the town. Of course, all this does is comfortably eliminate the only landmark of which we are really familiar with in Edoras.

Hmm... I suppose there are the mounds of the Kings. Or maybe a graveyard area in general. As a stone-carver, Náin's professional interest would be anything that's stone, and a graveyard seems like the best place to look for stone carvings, though I don't know that headstones would have been the norm...

Other than that, what else might be stone in Edoras? Let's work with that as a basis, since Náin is both interested in stone, and anything with stone would most likely be the grandest place in town. What does one normally see when sight-seeing? Churches, palaces, natural vistas...

Well, Churches are out, this being Middle-Earth, and I'm not thinking of any real equivalent, other than the King's Hall, which Náin has already seen.

Palaces= Houses, manors, castles, villas, mansions... There might be one or two houses of note in Edoras, but how much sight-seeing could one really do, people living there and all?

And natural vistas...

I'm guessing that if one went out of the city, there could be all kinds of things here, this being right in the foothills of the mountains and all. There could be waterfalls, lakes, streams, caves. Is any of this really suitable for the sort of day we seem to have been leading up to though?

And that leaves... well, I'm thinking places of burial, be they mounds, graveyards, or whatnot... Could there be a town square in Edoras- possibly with some of the finest buildings in town around? Náin may be a stone carver, but wood-carving would interest him. Maybe a town fountain? Or is Edoras "green" enough to have parks/royal preserves/etc...?

I think the problem I'm encountering is that most of things one goes normally to "tour" are the sorts of things that only really appeared come the Renaissance... which is a bit post-Rohirric in nature. Could there be any old Gondorian ruins in the area? Gondor ruled Calenardhon for two and a half millennia. Maybe there was a big ranch house or something in the vale...

Lots of random speculations... note sure where we're going.