View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 02:05 AM   #7
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe there are Ents and things that look like Ents but ain't

Quote:
"My...eh....home..lies....deeeeeeeeep....in... .the forest, ja?"
Lol, Éomer, that makes me think of Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle rather than the Treebeard I know from the book, who was not boring in the least. I daresay that Merry and Pippin didn't find the old Ent boring in the book, either. They seem in fact to be quite fond of him, and wouldn't dream of yawning as he spoke to them. I find PJs change (change, mind, I disagree with Essex that the adaptation was faithful to the original) to boring Treebeard is a little unfortunate, as it makes him less likeable as a character. He appeared both more jolly and wise in the book, something like a toned down Tom Bombadil. I suppose we should be thankful that he didn't end up cut, as it does further complicate the movie by adding a third thread (well, four, since we are also following the story of Rohan).

The night scene with Gandalf and Aragorn is cool. Nice to see some of the camaraderie between these two old friends.
Quote:
And just why did Gandalf let Merry and Pippin in the keeping of Treebeard?
There is no real answer for this, as often happens when PJ diverges from the source. It may have been better to leave out the matter of Treebeard taking the hobbits to the White Wizard. Just PJ trying to keep us guessing at whether the friends are safe or not. I see no real reason to do so, however.