Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq06
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 01:12 AM   #14
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

But I thought that in the current scene, Frodo mainly shows revulsion towards Gollum, whereas in the book, as Guinevere has pointed out, he was showing great kindness in trying to get Gollum to eat lembas.

The Dead Marshes looked great, although it was obvious that they were either CG in long shots or sets in close ups. I guess that the burning swamp gas was put in to make the place seem even more formidable, or possibly as an explanation for the tricksy lights. Frodo "falling" into the water, and the spirits coming to take him, was a pure horror moment. Good stuff. The wraiths on wings were nice n scary.

The mysterious White Wizard was at first Christopher Lee's voice, then if memory serves it was Ian McKellen attempting to sound like Lee, then finally McKellen's voice. I think this voice morphing was a bit misguided, personally. I mean, it's hardly realistic, and why bother continuing to play games with the audience? We've already had some ambiguity over which wizard is appearing; there's no need to hammer it home so hard.

Gandalf's recollection of the final moments of his battle with the Balrog was cool. I wonder how it would have played out if the opening scene had been viewed here instead? Slower start to the movie, I guess. The fall worked well where it was, drawing us in to the action immediately. I really liked Gandalf's trippy voyage into the world beyond. Very nicely done.

I thought that Shadowfax's introduction was a bit too much like a shampoo commercial. I would have loved it if he had been a grey or silver coloured horse, as in the book, but I guess that a white horse for Gandalf the White is suitable.