Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq03
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 11:00 PM   #21
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
My favorite part, and probably one of my favorite lines of this sequence is Eomer telling Grima: "Too long have you watched my sister, too long have you haunted her steps." Directly from the books, but Gandalf is given this line in the books, and I like the change over to Eomer (though it be minor I think Jackson did the right thing). No disrespect to Tolkien, but I think the line suits Eomer, being Eowyn's brother, much better than some random old guy that pops in once in a while.
I concur, Laconic Loreman. It seems to fit better with Éomer. It's nice to see wherever there are examples of positive changes from the book. Somewhere where PJ enhanced the story rather than degrading it.

Quote:
Going back to the eye-holder discussion... when you read the books, did you think that the fiery eye existed as a physical thing? I always thought it was more like Sauron mind's eye... something that did not exist in the material but rather the spiritual plane... what do you think?
Very well put, Farael. No, I didn't conceive of the Eye as something you could see unaided. I got the impression that it was a power which Frodo felt rather than saw in general, and that it could only be seen when aided by the Ring or the Mirror of Galadriel. I think this would make a good discussion thread, as I'm sure most Downers have an opinion on this; there are probably some good quotes to back up such opinions as well. I can't recall any myself.

I also thought it was a good decision to show the death of Théodred, as we then get a feeling for the pain which Saruman has caused Rohan and Théoden in particular (aside from the brutal slaying of villagers).

The discovery by Éomer's men that the orcs were in the service of Saruman is a little meaningless, as we already know from FOTR that Saruman had orcs at his command. I wonder whether the mystery would have played out better if FOTR had left the origin of the orcs as ambiguous.

I am not a fan of PJs decision to send Éomer away, only to bring him back with Gandalf later. I would have much preferred to have Éomer with Théoden the whole time. So, I think in this scene that Éomer should have been imprisoned rather than banishéd.