View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 09:55 AM   #576
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Just got to stick this recommendation on here. Some time ago Pio mentioned a graphic novel called The Book of Ballads, illustrated by Charles Vess and written by a number of people including Neil Gaiman and Alan Lee's wife. Anyway I met with davem in Waterstones yesterday afternoon and he'd found a copy. I've already read most of it and it's superb!

It's a collection of tales/strips based on folk songs. There's a tale based on Tam Lin and another on Sovay, both favourite old songs of mine. It's definitely for grown-ups and those of grown-up outlook (as are most folk songs!), but its a beautiful book which sowns how fantastic the stories of folk songs are. As a bonus at the back you get a section detailing where you might find some of these great songs, mostly on folk-rock and acid-folk albums of the late 60s/70s (e.g. Fairport, Pentangle etc but also on modern albums by Kate Rusby and Martin Carthy.

Well worth reading for any fans of Fairy tales, folk songs or graphic novels!