View Single Post
Old 07-16-2003, 12:58 PM   #15
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Indeed, Aredhel, that is probably my favorite artwork of that scene, just because of the implications of the perspective and the fact that it tells Gandalf's story as well as Sauron's, while Pippin is simply an object in it, seen by other eyes. It is, to my mind, an interesting and provocative piece that makes me visualize as Pippin might when Gandalf is telling him what he believes Sauron has seen in the Palantir. That, to me, signals Pippin's awakening and the presence of the "other eyes" and "other realms" in his dawning consciousness. Of course, I see most things from Pippin's or Frodo's POV, so I would think that! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

There are a few other depictions of the Palantir scene and events before and after, but none quite like the Alexander illustration!
Gubina-Palantir
Staten-Palantir
Eiszmann-Pippin stealing the Palantir

Here's an all-time favorite by John Howe: it used to be my avatar, until I found the irresistible photo of Frodo (well, Elijah Wood, anyway) asleep on the statue's nose on Amon Hen: Gandalf and Pippin on Shadowfax--Approaching Minas Tirith

Also, that lovely picture, also by Howe:
Frodo at the Ford

There's lots more great artwork out there, but I felt mainly like Pippin today! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Speaking of artwork on the net, there's a drawing, I'm not sure if it is fanart or otherwise. It is a drawing of Frodo with the Ring on a chain around his neck, and the Ring is HUGE! I saw it once, and now I cannot find it again. Anyone know this one?

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote