View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #17
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
My oft-repeated tale is that I nicked the books off my cool older brother. He had disappeared for weeks on end with these books so I wanted to read 'em too, because he was cool, and because anything so absorbing just had to be good. I was about 12 and as my mother once said "I would read the side of the cornflakes box if I had nothing else around to read". I'd previously had obsessions with Brer Rabbit, Alice In Wonderland, Heidi (there are about 4 Heidi books, did you know she even grows up and has kids?.... ), What Katy Did and Mallory Towers. It was time for me to move on to the serious stuff. Hey presto, the parents were saddled with two Tolkien obsessed offspring.

I still have that set of books now, battered and creased, and they are worth more to me than any of the posh collectible ones I own.
Quote:
Three days? It took me about three weeks (more, probably). Although I was still at school so that might have had something to do with my slow reading!

Always keep your first set of books, and keep them carefully, they will one day be a great treasure to you and they are irreplaceable.
Golly, you sound like me.

I've kept the first copies I ever read. I actually read the books that my dad got when he was in...highschool, I think. He never read them, but they were old when I got my hands on them. By the time they'd lived through being read by four of us five kids, the FotR was in five parts, but the other two survived it rather well.

-- Folwren