View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 01:59 AM   #561
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
I just read "Anansi Boys" - I'd been wanting to read some of Gaiman mostly because of the talk around here. I'd read "Good Omens", but wasn't really impressed with the subject matter.

It's weird..."Anasi Boys" is very close to Douglas Adamses "Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul". I found it an easier read (less "british" I suppose), but wow. Is Gaiman is the next Adams? Hmm. I'll have to get my hands on something else of his to be sure.
Anasi Boys was what my friends and I describe as Gaiman off tangent. It is a good read but nevertheless it fails to capture the dark gothic essence that made American Gods and Neverwhere such nightmarish pleasures. I thought the only good part was when "fatty' entered the African Dreamland and enlisted the aid of the animal spirits against his brother. The birdlady bit was scary.

Mr. Nancy (Anasi the Spider sprite) was fun, but I would have prefered it if the book was on other characters such as Mr. Ibis (Thoth), Mad Sweeney (Irish Leprechaun) or my fav, Mr. Jacquel (Anubis).

For those of you who are not in touch with mainstream comics, Mr. Gaiman is now scripting The Eternals for marvel comics.