View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
MatthewM:
Quote:
So, one may assume that as the father's traits are mostly dominant...
As Mänwë said, this is not true. The traits are inheritated equally from both parents, with the exception of sex-linked genes on the X-chromosome (the Y chromosome actually do code for some proteins, Mänwë, but it's only a few and mostly connected to sex determination). I'm not sure Tolkien ever imagined any special ways of inheritaing traits in ME (I'm not too sure he ever thought about evolution either, but that do not belong here...), but if we assume that the same genetic laws that control humans also are the ones that effect elves, haircolor is hardly sex-linked. Besides, things like colors of skin and hair are controlled by more than one single gene (polygenic inheritance). And even if one simplifies things, as is often done, and say that hair color is controlled by one single gene, the gene for blonde hair (b) is recessiv to the brown (B) (dominant).

That means that even if the quote from The Hobbit about Thranduil's golden hair is "correct", that Tolkien meant him to have golden hair, Legolas' hair color will also be dependent on his mother's genes. Her hair color was probably dark, as she was a Silvan elf. Why Thranduil is described as golden haired is a mystery, for what Mänwë says is again true...

I'd say Legolas is dark haired. What his hare's color is is an other question...

Thank you for taking time to read this boring genetic-lesson-post!

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote