View Single Post
Old 04-18-2003, 11:34 AM   #2
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

*What kind of schools are they? Well, I go to a private school Most public schools should not have this problem.

*Are they all in the US?Not sure about this one. My school is in North Carolina, but there could be others throughout the world who deal with this problem.

*What *specific* grounds are given for banning his works, if any? Well, my principle was banning them because he mistakened them for Harry Potter. Harry Potter at my school is highly looked down upon because of the witchcraft and magic. They think we'll start worshipping Satan or something by reading those books. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

*What other books are banned? As I have mentioned, Harry Potter. Any other books having to deal with magic or witchcraft in any way would be banned. {Good thing my principle doesn't know about Gandalf yet.}

*What form does the banning take? We are not allowed to bring them to school at all. They were taken out of our library, and we havn't ever discussed works like this in class so that problem is out.

*What would happen to you if you broke the ban? My guess is I would have a long discussion in my principle's office about why he thinks it is wrong, I would probably get demerits if I was caught reading them again at school, and after that, I would probably get a detention with a parent-teacher conference. {Yeah, it would be strict.}

Just to add another note on the matter, my school also does not allow us to read any kind of mythology as a class assignment. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis has been an exception because it has a Biblical meaning behind it. But recently, we have had warning to not wear any kind of clothing related to mythology at school. {This includes dragons, unicorns, phoenixes, or anything else relating to fantasy.} My school is just really tight on what they allow us to do. Not every school is like this. You shouldn't have to worry about your school becoming like this.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote