View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 11:55 PM   #453
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
perhaps more men escaped because there are more male slaves working on the plantations?
Keeping in mind the patterns of the history of society in RL, I always thought that certain aspects of ME history would be similar. If I remember correctly, in real history the percentage of female slaves has always been much higher than males. Of course, you do have a point- it's more likely that the males were doing the most physical labor, working in the plantations.

Anyways, let me see if I can get to what I'm trying to say....

Quote:
We could say there are 37 women and children, and 23 men. Out of the women and children, 9 women and 7 children can and are willing to fight.
I kind of have to disagree that there would be more women/children. Though there are more female slaves, few would be required to do the more physical tasks that the men must do. Most likely they'd do tasks that would fit the role of women- cooking, caring for children, etc (of course there are exceptions for the younger, stronger women such as Shae). Anyways, since their tasks are less exhausting, the women are probably more accepting of their position as slaves and less willing to risk their lives to escape. I would imagine very few children attempting escape. No mother would risk their child's life like that. All the children that have escaped are most likely orphans, who really don't have anyone to care for them, and they should be capable to escape on their own (even if barely). Though it is likely more men would die in the process of escape, I think there would be twice the amount of men than women escaping in the first place. And don't forget we're also including the fifteen experienced ex-slaves (14 men + Shae). My guess is that the numbers would be around (this is including the fifteen) 37 men, 21 women, and 7 children (children being 11-15 -I assume there wouldn't be children any younger than that). We do have 65 ex-slaves total, right?

Remember, these ex-slaves are the most radical of slaves. Slavery is a horrible lifestyle, but at least as long as a slave is obedient, they have a chance to survive. By escaping, all these ex-slaves put their lives on the line. Though few may be skilled in weaponry, because they managed to escape in the first place, almost all the slaves should be capable of fighting. Exceptions are but not limited to the oldest of the ex-slaves, the youngest, the injured, the mentally incapacitated, and of course, those who aren't willing to participate (which would most likely be more women than men).

Anyways, I apologize if I just rambled- it's a bit late, but hopefully I did make some sense. Just my thought on the matter....