View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #398
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
You have to understand that my approach to debate is to (in my own mind) 'depersonalise' it & just respond to the statement itself. As a statement it is either correct or incorrect, logical or illogical, sensible or silly.
Just a thought: Let's say you observed my children and had some 'advice' for me, as they were acting slightly less than angelic. You want me to hear what you have to say, but as it's concerning my kids, you know that, though I may want to be depersonalizedly objective and open (and may even whole-heartedly agree with your observation), you're still going to engage that part of me that's emotional, whether I like it or not. A person's faith/beliefs may be like that. Surely you know this.

Anyway...

Clouds. If you sit out on a green lawn and look out up at those white puffy cumulus clouds, and you let you imagination run a bit, you can see all types of faces, animals, shapes, etc, limited only by what's in your brain. The information that you have, from reading books, looking at pictures, your life experiences, all provide you with images into which to fit the random cloud shapes. If you've been reading LotR, you might see various Middle Earth imagery; if Disney, then 'the Mouse' may appear. Regardless, the shape of the clouds are the same and you choose, from the set within your head, the image that best matches. At that point you say, "See that one...that looks like Gollum's head." Your friend, sitting beside you and never having read nor saw anything Tolkien, can only respond with, "Huh? You mean the one that looks like Mickey?"

A very obvious point, but to make it anyway, is it any mystery why some see certain things in Tolkien's works while others do not? Plus, when we pattern-match the clouds, our brains are using 'fuzzy fitting,' meaning that the shape that looks like Galadriel really doesn't look just like the elf queen, but, say, 20% of the shape does and our brain fudges the rest. The cloud and image fit closely enough for our brain to engage our mouth so that we can tell the world of our obvious observation.

Tolkien was well-read (I assume) and also, like us all, had a unique life experience, and lived through some times that thankfully we won't see. All of those events put images into his head, and so when he wrote, looking at the white paper like a cloud, surely some of those images, fudged a bit, came back out. Some of the images may even have been Christian.

Hope that that makes some sense.

P.S. I too would argue that reps should not be posted without permission, as I would then have to continually be fretting that I wasn't writing 'good enough for primetime' reptext, which would then shorten the text (maybe that's not a bad thing) or leave it unsigned, just in case...but then if it were considered the best reptext ever on the Downs, then no one would ever know that it was from my pen...

Last edited by alatar; 09-19-2006 at 08:54 AM.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote