View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 03:12 AM   #354
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think we've definitely got both free will and fate/luck in the story. And this is one instance where its definitely up to the reader to interpret how they see it. Especially the most famous example of Gollum falling into the fires with the Ring when Frodo 'fails'; this works in a really satisfying way from both perspectives. I'm sure those who read LotR before the Sil was out (and where we find out about Eru) got as much satisfaction from the ending as we do now?

I'm wary of attributing everything down to 'fate' though - there are many instances where a character is given an outright choice and he or she makes a right or wrong one. Of course it would be easy to put down simple plot lines to 'fate' but in the main that's what they are, twists and turns of plot.

Here's an interesting question. does anyone else get the impression that in Middle-earth the Men are more attuned to Free Will and having to take on board the responsibility of making the right choces while the Elves are much more gloomy and seem to think more things are 'fated'? I get this impression, and it maybe has something to do with the nature of mortality?