View Single Post
Old 10-03-2003, 11:43 AM   #104
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

kittygirl02, I can see your point about Legolas, now that the movies are out. He had not made a big impression on me in the books, but I did notice that he was as far from pretentious and self-absorbed as an elf could get, which is something in itself, especially now that I've read the Silmarillion and know how bad some of the Elves can get! (Ahem--THINGOL!--Ahem!) (Staves off already anticipated jibe about my Fëanor fetish by admitting it IS a fetish/conceit! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

But back to the Elf in question: now that the "movie Legolas" is on the scene, it seems he is nothing more than a tool to show how cool and physically graceful the Elvish race is. The suggestion I've heard that he give Wormtongue his comeuppance by shooting an arrow straight up and waiting for it to come down into Wormtongue's skull from above is ludicrous, but knowing the primacy of the "obligatory Legolas stunt", I have little doubt that it may come to pass in ROTK. It saddens me to contemplate such a turn, because it would really cheapen Legolas' character for me for the sake of show. Then again, I can hold out hope that it won't happen...and last of all, I can return to the books, where Legolas really IS Legolas and Frodo doesn't drop his sword before the Witch King on Weathertop and my favorite Ford of Bruinen scene is just as it should be...and after all, the wellspring is my comfort!

Oh, welcome to the Downs, BTW, and I hope you will find comfort among the chatty dead! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote