View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #198
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
Well, if some of those are Gandalf and Elrond, the chief lore masters of Middle-Earth, then I would call this rather representative.
It is in tone with Tolkien's statement in the Silmarillion, Letters and the Atrabeth about Eru's ever-present action.
Even if so, "behind that there was something else at work, beyond any design of the Ring-maker; I can put it no plainer than by saying that Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, and not by its maker; in which case you also were meant to have it. And that maybe an encouraging thought." Shadow of the Past
How do you consider fate would refute the position I am arguing for? Its very existence would be a manifestation of Grace, given Eru's intent - the only one who could actually decide fate.
Even if we accept that the incidents you describe are a consequence of 'grace' this merely means that the behaviour of Eru is similar to the behavour of the Christian God. That does not prove that LotR is a Christian work, merely that it doesn't contradict Christian teaching. Allah, Vishnu, the 'God' concieved by many cultures & religious traditions could be represented by Eru. If a non-Christian read the book they would have no reason to take it as a Christian work. Hence, only a Christian is likely to interpret such general references to Deity as references to the Christian God. That means that only in the mind of its author & its Christian readers is it a Christian work. To other readers it isn't. I'm quite sure many Christians don't regard it as a Christian work - it does not evangelise, does not mention Jesus or the crucifixion & resurrection of Christ, or the need for repentance & acceptance of His sacrifice. If it mentioned, either directly or indirectly (as in Aslan's death & resurrection on LWW) I would happily accept it as a Christian work. It doesn't, therefore it isn't.

Last edited by davem; 09-03-2006 at 02:54 PM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote