View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #188
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
We have agreed, I think, that the LotR conforms with Christian faith. If you agree on the values that the book carries (you don't agree on all, I know) then this means that on these cases, your values coincide with christian values. Does it suffice for a 'Christian work', that those who agree on its values in consequence agree on christian values? Sorry I keep on asking things like this, but I think that as soon as we all agree on a definition, we're halfway done.
Well even if Barrow-downers agreed that the book at least was in sympathy with the Christian faith (and I don't think all will) then it still wouldn't necessarily be aptly labelled a 'Christian' work. I wonder how the great numbers of Christians out there who consider LotR to be a work of the devil would feel? I knew a few people who were like this and while at school had someone tell me I'd go straight to Hell for reading "a book of Demonic Intent like that". I happen to think that LotR is in broad sympathy with Christian values, but that we still could not label it a "Christian Book" as it is not specifically Christian.

And leading on from that, a quick contrast sprang to mind when reading posts where people talk of LotR signposting readers to "The Truth". One series of books did set out to do this and that was Narnia. So, in what ways is LotR the same as Narnia?

Anyway, some of this thread reminds me of a little old pub called The Eagle and Child. Not the Oxford one, but one in which I spent many happy hours getting sozzled before it was turned into a Gastropub. In the old days it was run by one formidable Mrs Gill, whose Word was Law. Above the bar was a large sign proclaiming "No Religion or Politics To Be Discussed In This Pub!". Well we haven't got one of those signs at the Downs (but we do have a "Mrs Gill" who will tell us off if we're rude or personal about said topics) so threads like this one are able to spring up from time to time. Of course, as soon as you do mention one of those topics people will necessarily want to argue their case (which is why the formidable Mrs Gill had said sign up in her pub). So, when opening cans of worms the birdies will inevitably follow. Controversial ideas will attract rigorous debate.