View Single Post
Old 06-27-2003, 12:14 AM   #92
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I used to hate Boromir, and Aragorn used to irritate me. Now I feel for Boromir and Aragorn interests me; it is strange how views change over the years! I can't see how anyone could like Pippin least, though! There's just something joyful and resonant in Pippin's character that cheers me up, even when I am quite down! Even his thoughts at the Gate of Morannon, when he seemed to be dying under a troll, were uplifting. It is refreshing to read about a character whose spirit laughs a little, even on the threshold of death. Go Pippin!

OK, I got off the track there, didn't I? I can see why Celeborn might be an unfavorite, but I even feel for him after Galadriel leaves and he dwells alone among his beloved trees, a forlorn reminder of a great race passed to the West.

I do have a bone to pick with Melian the Maia, though; Thingol dies and she falls to pieces and lets her protection slip completely! Rather selfish, really! Goodbye Thingol, goodbye Doriath. Oh well! Find some other wayward elf in another forest, why don't you, Melian? (Apologies for editorializing!)

As for Maeglin; had high hopes for him at first, but I could see which way he was going. What a stinker!

I know I'll have to read the Silmarillion again to fully understand some things, but I found myself alternately feeling for and berating Turin! Sure he's a hero and all, but he seemed to be so reckless that he did a lot to doom Nargothrond himself. But, yes, what a run of bad luck! Never did anything deserve its fate more than Glaurung! Again, what a stinker!

Under the heading of irritating but at the same time endearing: Ioreth, one of the women in the Houses of Healing. What a gossip! She was interesting, though, for the illustration of just how legends are born: one of the halflings entered Mordor with only his esquire and set fire to the Dark Lord's tower! OK, the Enquirer version! (Or perhaps the Quibbler?) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I can't think straight anymore, so I'll stop here...
'Night all!
Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote