View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #79
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Kafkalina began to see the smudge of mirkwood far away, and soon found it's northern border. Walking cautiously through the trees, she could immediately sense the forests uneasiness. The dark shadow of Dol Guldur indeed had spread farther than its physical appearance, it now was a calling of great suspicion to anything coming from the south.

Oh huummm, and I thought to be amoungst trees again would bring me comfort, but all I find is distrust and none at ease. I hope only that I do not appear to be bringing more shadow to this great forest...

She was about to finish her thought, when she saw something move out of the corner of her eye, then again, but more softly now. She could sense more than trees were watching, and decided to stop and scan before moving on. Before she could, a hunting party (more like a scouting party it would seem) of elves surrounded her. Kafkalina made no attempt to run, she knew their ways and knew the folly of it. Bending slightly down to have a better view, she stared kindly at what appeared to be their leader, who was also staring with an arrow in her face. They did not seem to take kindly to her at all, but she could sense some in the party were just bewildered with curiousity as to why and who she was here.

" Speak, but do not take a further step. Tell us your business in Northern Mirkwood huorn."
The captain said in the mannish tongue, which bewildered Kafkalina more than his party members at her sight.

Why did he not speak to me in his own tongue? Ha ro tum! This indeed is strange and sad, that once to think I could come here and speak freely with them. To call me a Huorn too? Indeed something foul has come to pass for these elves of Mirkwood. Well, I have nothing to speak but the truth, hopfully they remember their own speech...

Still looking with a kind face, Kafkalina told them of her true intentions in their speech, Sindarin.

" Suilad Onodrim mellons, unless the world has changed indeed and the elves and Onodrim have parted ways, then it would seem the world has truely changed into naught. I am an Onod, though I cannot tell you my name in enttish, I have also the name of Kafkalina. I know I come from the south, and I know of the ill ways of Dol Guldur with their great spiders and twisted dark Huorns, but I speak with as much truth as Ilúvatar can grant me when I say this. I am not a Huorn, or dark and twisted roots I have bent for malice, I am of old an elve friend and the few left of the Onodrim. From what my people know of the Entwives, I may be indeed the last one, but no wive am I. I have journeyed quite far from my home in Eriador, in search of a treasure that may help my people and rebuild forests. If you have not forgotten my ways, as I have not forgotten the cunning and beauty of Thranduil's wood, you will know that nothing rousts an Onod to journey so far without a good reason. With that I will say that you will find not a single branch on me twisted with dark hatred for elvenkind, I only hold contempt for those that would cut down every tree of fair arda, as Yavanna set us Onodrim out to protect. Ho hmmm, as for my business, if you need to know, is to journey through your wood with peace and to refill my ent-draught at the Taurduin if this is approvable by you of course. I have nothing else further to say, but only that Thranduil's wood, may it one day be bright as we once knew."

The ent left the leader and his party in what seemed like a daze, but they were thinking of course. She knew that with the threat to the south, they would not suffer fools and would always be suspicious of her actions, but hopfully she did not seem to be a menace.

With arrows still pointed, the party did not move until their leader spoke.

" From what I first saw my eyes were filled with curiousity that one of the Onodrim had traveled this way, but then I know that the evils to the south can be puppets no matter how kind they may seem. Though, I know of no huorn dark or no, that could speak such in our speech, or had the ability to speak anything but a few words in the tongue of men or that of trees. It has been long since an Onod lived and walked through our forest, and the trees have grown without direction or heed of warning, thus allowing so many to become tools of malice against us and others. Though your story seems still strange to me, I shall let you pass under observation until you are out of our borders. Your presence will not be unknown, Onod, to that of King Thranduil. May you take care and your journey be a passible one. Galu Onod."

With that the party began to leave, but Kafkalina felt it unkind to not help them for the time she took from them. Calling for the leader to wait before he left, she looked through her bag, and then into a smaller bag. There lay the mallorn seeds, as bright as the day she found them. Taking one, she presented it to the leader carefully. At first he seemed suspicious, then his eyes widened for a bit in surprise and realization.

"Give this to King Thranduil and tell him I am sorry for causing so much trouble. May it help to bring light and joy back to his home."

The leader simply nodded and tucked the seed away carefully and disappeared. Kafkalina continued on her journey carefully to the forest river, now aware that she was a lucky guest to this wood of unease.

Last edited by THE Ka; 08-17-2006 at 02:55 PM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote