View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #732
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
The ability to listen to two totally disparate things at one time. When you've just been yelled at by a parent for not concentrating on what they were saying because you were totally engrossed in the television at the time, being able to repeat what they have just said back to them word for word is such a satisfying feeling.
I used to have this super power, usually in German lessons where my poor teacher would interrupt my conversation with the boys who sat behind me to ask me to repeat what he had just said, and I would be able to repeat it word for word. Sadly as you get older the ability to concentrate on even one thing at one time becomes more and more difficult.

I'm assigning to the Shire those books you get with lists of "the best..." because they're so absorbing. We've got one - 1001 Books to Read Before you Die - and yes, it includes LotR (I wouldn't have bought it otherwise ). I got one the other day called 1001 Albums to Hear Before You Die which has kept me absorbed for a good while and left me with a long list of CDs to go and get, and has also had me ranting a bit about what was and what was not included, though said books are refreshingly unpretentious.