View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
Well, I rather liked the scene. Actually, I liked it quite a bit. Except for Pippin's face. I always laugh at that, because it's the funniest possible face for that serious moment. Which means it's rather out of place in the scene.

But I really liked the scene, mainly because it shows that Aragorn, who had just been crowned King, was still the noble, humble person they had come to know. I think it fits better with his character to give credit to others when it is due. He himself did deserve a lot of credit, which he received (he was just crowned King after all!), but he makes sure that the other key players are not left out.

The fact that Merry and Pippin are left in the shot was good, too. It says to me that, even though they were forced apart and went down different paths, they (the four) are still the closest friends through it all. Very touching indeed.

Also, I think it's very fitting that the hobbits get their moment to "stand above" everyone else before "shrinking" back into memory and legend.

Excellent thoughts there, Gurthang.

I like your words on how Aragorn makes sure everyone gets credit - it ties in with his speech: 'This day does not belong to one Man, but to all...' Good to see that Jackson got a message like that across.

And yes, this is a fantastic moment in the film - alongside Gandalf's speech on death to Pippin during the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and Frodo and Sam's nostalgic remembrance of the Shire after the Ring is destroyed, it's the most emotional part of ROTK for me. We spend so much of the time in awe at Aragorn's heroics, Legolas's stunts, Gimli's bufoonery, Arwen's looks, etc. that to see them all bow before the real heroes - the modest Hobbits we began with - is really an excellent reminder of who has accomplished most in this story.