View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #413
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
“Wait a second,” said Léof as they exited the stable; he had forgotten the knife on the ground. He would not have that laying around for someone to step on – human or horse. He set it up on a shelf containing a few other odds and ends that hadn’t been properly put away, making sure it was easy to access. Whoever it was that had dropped it would surely come back for it – and Léof wasn’t so sure that it wasn’t this Trystan – he had been looking at it mighty keenly before Léof kicked it away. Léof had no proof that he was not who he said he was, and so did not want to judge him by his appearance. Indeed, had he not been hiding in the stall, Léof probably would not have been very suspicious at all – but if his motives truly were honest, he should not have minded being found there in the stables.

“So what brings you here?” asked Léof. “It’s a fair way from Gondor, especially on foot.”

“Just traveling,” Trystan replied easily, but Léof thought he saw a hint of something – worry, perhaps? – in his eyes.

“Just traveling,” Léof repeated curiously. “You travel much?”

“Some.”

Léof nodded, still not wholly convinced. Trystan obviously was not telling him some things… but who was he to blame people for carrying secrets? Léof’s place was not to judge people on what they had done; Trystan ought to at least be given a chance. “Well, you can go ahead and sit down; some breakfast should be brought out soon. I’ll let the Lord Eodwine know you’re here, and then I’d best get back to the stables.”

“Thank you,” said Trystan, and Léof just nodded in acknowledgment. He walked over to where Eodwine appeared to be watching something in the courtyard. “Sir?” Eodwine turned. “A traveler just arrived – said his name was Trystan from Dol Amroth. Or, he didn’t say he was from there, but Farahil recognized the accent. Anyhow, I probably wouldn’t have said anything, except that I found him, well, hiding in an empty stall… he didn’t seem too happy to find me and Farahil in the stables with him. I can’t prove anything by it… but I thought you ought to know.”