View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Nazi stuff-as interpreted by Brad Douriff-

Well, Fran’s a genius, ya know? I think it was something that really came organically out the direction that we were going. I kind of hooked into that probably when he was young he was picked on, and that he really was perfect bait for Saruman the White. And was someone who could really never have the things he needed the most. So I think the idea was that this was somebody who fell into a dark hole and kind of wakes up in the middle looking at the “Triumph of the Will”. Which is really what he goes out and really looks at what Hitler saw when they did “Triumph of the Will”. This incredibly awesome horde that was about to be unleashed. Have you ever seen “Triumph of the Will”? For those of you who didn’t.. you guys should see this… this is a movie of Adolph Hitler’s Nazi Party, that did this festival every year in Nuremburg. This movie is a documentary, but it really gives you the power of this whole nation being consumed by this weird strength in each other’s numbers that was to unleash in this horrible war, and you can feel it in this movie. And the arrangement of the troops in “The Two Towers” was a purposeful rip off of this... because it was a defining moment just before WWII. And the documentary is called “Triumph of the Will” because it is the triumph of Adolf Hitler’s will.

Then again I think Brad Douriff has also been quoted as replying in a way more aligned with Eomer's subtler answer. Rumour has it Fran Walsh wanted "overjoyed Nazi" but Douriff considered "mourning human".