Thread: Why Moria?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 06:26 PM   #55
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
Besides the entire trip in general, it is interesting how the Fellowship never really had a plan to get throug each individual places.

Like Moria for example: If Every member knew they would have to skirmish some goblins, Gandalf might have said "Well, stick to your sword techniques, the hobbits need to stick close to use, Legolas will pwn with his bow, etc" But in every situation, it seems the just "wing it."

When they asked Aragorn about where they would be going after Gandalf fell, he knew they would be going to Lothlorien, but I remeber he said something to the effect of: "Perhaps Gandalf didnt even know what we were going to do." So maybe part of the reson to go to Lorien was to take counsel with The Lord and Lady. Every stage in the quset was taken one day at a time. Did this affect them after they chose the Fellowship in Rivendell? Because it didnt seem like Elrond would say, "Well, duh, your going though Moria", or the Redhorn Gate or High Pass.

Another thing that I wonder about: How did they propose to enter Mordor? Since originally the entire Fellowship was going to Orodruin, did they just assume they were going to "wing it" and sneak in through the Black Gate? Sureley they would have been opposed to the Cirith Ungol, but what about the Morgul Pass? And even though it is obvious that the Easterling Summer Camp was going on behind Mordor, was Time the only thing holding them back from going around the Ashen Mountains?

The CoE explained some of the ways they could not go, quickly dissmissing hiding the Ring, taking it to Valinor, or taking it to the Havens, but they did not talk about aking it to the havens to be taken to Mordor, and small variants like it. Little comments from Boromir about going through the Gap or around the Andrst were dissmised also, but was that really taken into consideration like it is here?

My question is this: How well did they plan their trip? Was Gandalf just going to improv along the way?
________
Ford t platform specifications

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote