View Single Post
Old 05-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #75
Texadan
Animated Skeleton

Texadan has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
I've noticed that there are two different kinds of LotR-fans; those who love the story and those who love the world.
This actually is also for those who have become fans because of the movies; what in the movies fascinated them most?

My aunt is a perfect example of a story-lover LotR-fan. She reads it always again and again (as she does with a few other books). Once I asked her, has she read The Silmarillion. "I started it, but it was so boring, that I couldn't read it any further", she answered.
So story-lovers love just the story, and the characters maybe. They usually don't read The Sil, or HoMEs.

The others, world-lovers, love Middle-Earth. Its places, cultures, peoples and languages. They may end up with playing RPGs in ME.

Of course people can't be divided so roughly; I don't say that the story-lovers wouldn't love Middle-Earth as a place, or the world-lovers wouldn't love LotR as a story.

Have you ever noticed this distinction? Which group do you belong in?
I myself belong to the world-lovers, I suppose, though I love the story too...
I'm interested to hear your answers...
I'm a little of both. Now. The first time I picked up The Silmarillion my reaction was the same as your Aunt's. I didn't touch it again for years. Then I tried it again and found myself enjoying it, though not as much as the story. I'm still a story person but I now enjoy the history and culture of Middle-Earth as well.
Texadan is offline   Reply With Quote