View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Anguirel wrote:
Quote:
perhaps it's the blonde curly hair that does it,
I know that Celegorm is said to have golden hair in the Geste, but I seem to remember that this was changed. Isn't it later said that the only Noldor with blond hair were those of the house of Finarfin?

Quote:
In Valinor he apparently got on well enough with the Valar to be given Orome's hound, and was apparently the son of Feanor closest to Aredhel, Fingolfin's daughter, with whom he shared a similarity of temperament. Along with many other slightly revisionist readers of the Silmarillion, I see a rejected romance here.
I rather doubt this - they were first cousins, and a romance between them would have been seen as incestuous. Celegorm may have a dark side, but he's no Maeglin. Moreover, Maeglin's incestuous love for Idril is said to have been a consequence of the Kin-slaying (it's "evil fruit" I believe). So I have a hard time believing that such a thing would have arisen in Valinor before the flight of the Noldor.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote