View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #134
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
How can we know about something, assuming that this supernatural/nonphysical God has spoken to us about it through whatever means, that is completely supernatural or nonphysical and have any chance of understanding it, let alone hearing it?
Faith, belief, or *insert other transpersonal belief descriptor here*

Quote:
You speak of quanta and physics, and though we can believe (I guess) that God isn't bound by any constraints, we are, and so there has to be some way of getting all of that supernatural information into this world of atoms.
We humans are constrained. But, after I shed my raiment I am not constrained.

Quote:
My point is that God may be The Light unto the World, but that light is made up of photons, and that light will bend due to gravitational forces. You have no idea, as does anyone else, how all of that supernatural stuff works, and I wonder if we've even heard its description right, as things could have been garbled in the translation.
NICE. I would submit that what we know of light today will be different than what we know of light tommorow. It still doesnt matter to me. What our science understands today, or a thousand years from now, we will still be merely scratching at the surface.

Quote:
The other problem is how all of that non quantum stuff works. You see why scientists don't spend much time looking for invisible odorless fireless dragons in your garage.
But science IS working all the time on quantum, because they realize the laws that are set up now do not work out right. Science is struggling getting out of the flat world when it comes to advanced physics. "dark matter", "dark energy" "black holes" etc are descriptive terms that are should be saying to you that, like "planet X", they know somethings amiss, but havent quite been able to trap that dragon.

Quote:
I agree that science cannot rule out the existence of a higher power, but they can comment on the possibility.
but most dont. I can comment on the possiblity of invisible odorless firelss dragons as well. but, thats silly isnt it? Yet I still contemplate the existance of one, and would love very much to sit down and converse with him/her. And still my head does not explode at the dichotomy....

Last edited by drigel; 04-27-2006 at 07:24 AM. Reason: pimf
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote