View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #133
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drigel
nice discussions here. this violates my general social rule of never discussing politics or religion, but..
I hear that, yet, like a hole left by a plucked tooth, can't but help sticking my tongue in it...

Quote:
IMO, in my hopefully potential afterlife, I would think that by it's very nature, the existence of an afterlife transcends physics, quantum mechanics, or any description of reality that we have or ever will have on this earth. Forever, reality, time, eternity, etc etc would be as meaningless as an ice cube on the surface of the sun. The same would apply to the world I leave behind....
How can we know about something, assuming that this supernatural/nonphysical God has spoken to us about it through whatever means, that is completely supernatural or nonphysical and have any chance of understanding it, let alone hearing it? You speak of quanta and physics, and though we can believe (I guess) that God isn't bound by any constraints, we are, and so there has to be some way of getting all of that supernatural information into this world of atoms.

My point is that God may be The Light unto the World, but that light is made up of photons, and that light will bend due to gravitational forces. You have no idea, as does anyone else, how all of that supernatural stuff works, and I wonder if we've even heard its description right, as things could have been garbled in the translation.

The other problem is how all of that non quantum stuff works. You see why scientists don't spend much time looking for invisible odorless fireless dragons in your garage.

Quote:
And neither can science acknowledge the existence, or even possiblity of, a higher power at work in the universe. Yet, as the author did with our pagan ancestors, we have the ability to live in both worlds, no?
I agree that science cannot rule out the existence of a higher power, but they can comment on the possibility.