View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 05:41 AM   #77
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Perhaps you're familiar with the famous passage about the sons of God producing offspring with the daughters of Man? ... and how this seems to have been a direct cause of the Flood?
Yes, I'm familiar with it as with the opposing argument. How do angels mate with humans, one creature being completely spirit while the other material? Sucubi/incubi perhaps? Or do fallen angels have some kind of inherent physicality? My understanding always has been that any angel or devil is permitted only that which God allows. And again, if this isn't so, then one can then question Christianity's keystone, the Resurrection, as any angel or devil could easily mascarade as the Christ. He could live out a life, get crucified, seemingly die then come out of the grave, as he's a spiritual/material being hybrid of some kind?!?

Though you may simply be stating what others have said, I agree that it's a bit convoluted and makes God seem less omnipotent as He must rely on human agents to execute peoples so that His plan will succeed. And what of the livestock? Are these too somehow infected with fallen angels? And just how does one destroy spiritual beings by breaking the material bodies? Wouldn't it have been loverly if only the physical body of Satan could have been so broken so that he could not thwart so many godly plans?

Can't help but noting that we again have a peoples labeled as 'subhuman' (which is interesting as they purportedly are superhuman) so that their extermination can be justified. Orcs.

Eru has it otherwise, stating that despite everyone's best efforts Its will will be done. On the other hand, Maia can mate with elves who can mate with humans...

Last edited by alatar; 04-20-2006 at 05:50 AM.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote