View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
Legolas in spandex
Wight

Legolas in spandex has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Of another world

I have NO idea where to post this, therefore I am posting this here and if anyone feels obliged to move this, than feel free to do so.Okay, I have been told and have guessed that by Gandalf returning from a death that was hardly a death, Tolkien was representing Jesus in some manner. However, I find a greater representation of ideas of the Christian faith by means of the elves.Think about it carefully. The elves were of the most angelic beings who watched the world go by; they watched it begin to fall. They mourned because of the fact that they weren't of the world of Middle-Earth, and they longed for their land across the sea.This is a perfect representation of the "ideal" Christian. Christians in their faith are not of this world in that they belong to the kingdom of God-their land across the sea where they may exist forever. No, we don't live for thousands of years, but Christians watch the world fall in its sinful pleasure or when it becomes of darkness by its rulers i.e presidents, etc. Also, in the Silmarillion, from what I have read so far, it reminds me very much of the clash of God and Satan. Melkor wished for something that was not his-the newly created world. Satan wanted to rule over God.Melkor desired himself to be in place of Iluvatar. Melkor sang out against Iluvatar-Satan tempted god w/ music. Satan tries to destroy good. Melkor undid the creations of the Valar. I saw a pretty good relationship between the two ideas. Anyone else see these things?