View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #2200
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Kohran
I hate to sound stupid, but...what's the Silmarillion?
Welcome!!! as Hobkill said, the Silmarillion is a collection of "historical" histories about Middle-Earth. Many of the things hinted at in Lord Of The Rings, such as The Fall of Numenor, the fall of the Kings of Gondor, the fall of... ok, you get the general idea ... are explained in that book, as well as the creation of Arda (where Middle Earth is) and the fight against the original Dark Lord (Sauron was only his lieutenant back then).

It is a rather different book than Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit, but then LoTR and Hobbit are not exactly very similar either. I'd suggest you start reading the Silmarillion when you know you will have time for it. You may think it's slightly dull to begin with, but all of a sudden you may find yourself reading well past your bed-time.

Just like this forum, it seems harmless but actually, it's been catalogued by the Canadian Food and Drugs administration as "dangerously addictive"

Enjoy your time!! And remember Rule number X: Never take Farael too seriously. Welcome!