View Single Post
Old 04-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
You forgot to ask "What is Tom Bombadil?"

Seriously, an excellent topic!

I have to agree about Saruman's Ring. Except for one thing. For some time now, I've thought that the reason that Saruman's Ring failed him was because he was an imitative despot, at best. What I mean is that he was not willing to seperate himself from his power to the extent that Sauron was, he was not willing to put so much of himself into his Ring. He was vain, and ambitious. As I recall, (and I don't have access to the Letters), Sauron wanted to order the world for it's own good, according to his own designs. His motives were pure, even generous (in his own mind) , at least at the beginning. Saruman, on the other hand, wanted power for it's own sake, and ultimately found it empty and ineffective. Someone recently (and I don't remember who--if someone else remembers, let me know), had a quote in their signature that said (as best as I can remember) "The most inappropriate job of any man is that of the boss of other men. None are suited for it, least of all those who aspire to the position." (It's a quote from Tolkien, though I don't know from where.)

That's Saruman and his Ring, as I see it. He wanted to be the "boss of other men." Sauron didn't.