View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #284
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Athwen looked from Dorran, slowly walking away, to the trencher he had put into her hands, and back again. Blinking in surprise, she then averted her gaze to Fion who simply shrugged and repositioned himself so that he could eat more comfortably. The food indeed looked excellent and Athwen was hungry, no mistake, but. . .

'Dorran, wait.' Her voice trembled slightly, but she couldn't help it and she wouldn't put it off. She put the plate down and scrambled quickly to her feet, pushing her skirt impatiently away from her ankles as she rose. He turned at her voice and she approached him and came to a stop right before him. He looked down at her, and she looked back at him. 'I know what you mean,' she said after a short pause of not knowing what to say at all. 'I don't blame you for not knowing what to say or do, I really don't.' She could have cursed the tears in her eyes. It was hard enough for the young man as it was without seeing them and hearing her voice quavering as though it were about to break. She broke the gaze and looked down.

'I wasn't. . .I wasn't offended at all when you said there wasn't anything to do,' she said. 'Honestly. I didn't want to cut up the deer and I don't know, even if I did want to help. But I would like to help with breakfast tomorrow.' She paused. That wasn't even the most important part of it all. She lifted her head again and looked at him. 'You've been through what I have, too?' she suddenly asked, unaware that her voice had dropped almost to a whisper.

'We'll talk later,' he said quietly. 'When there aren't as many people around and possibly listening.' He took a swift, cursory glance around him before looking back at Athwen.

'Alright,' she said, stepping back. 'So long as you're alright.' He nodded, and she was satisfied, and she turned away and went back to her seat by Fion. Sitting back down, she took up the trencher and set it on her lap. 'I've not eaten since morning,' she said, pealing some of the smoked fish from the bones. There was a slight pause while she was intent on her food. In a moment, however, she became aware that the silence between them was probably awkward, and now, becoming aware of it, she found that it was. 'Um. . .have you known your companions long, from your home?'

Last edited by Folwren; 04-08-2006 at 10:51 AM.