View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 12:35 AM   #282
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Dorran

Dorran stared helplessly as Athwen retreated and went over to sit near Fion. What a terrible fool he had been! The young woman had come over asking if there was some way that she could help, but behind her simple words had been a hundred questions left unsaid. She had wanted a bit of kindness, and all he could do was stumble over his words and gawk. While sometimes it was hard for him to talk with a lass, there had been more going on than that.

He wished he could have spoken to her the way he did with his own sister---in an easy, familiar way that showed kindness and respect. Still, it hadn't only been the presence of a young girl that had so rattled him and thrown him off track. The plain fact was that the Orc attack on the village had totally unnerved him. There were too many bleak memories still in his mind. Wherever Athwen walked, the ghosts of the village seemed to tred quietly in her path. And those ghosts were too much like things that Dorran had already heard and seen. Still, that was no excuse for rude behavior.

He managed to mumble his thanks to Sythric for his offer of help in cooking. Then, thinking of the only thing he could do to make some amends, he grabbed two wooden trenchers from the supply sack, piled these high with fish and added a few nutty sweets to the side of the plate, the last treats that he had from those his sister had put in his pack. Running over to where Fion and Athwen were seated, he impulsively reached out and shoved his offerings towards them, mumbling out an apology. "I must ask pardon from both of you. Fion, if truth be told, it's because of me that you bear a fearsome lump on your head and are feeling so poorly. When they spoke of men coming after the Orc raid, all I could think about were the Easterlings who descended on our own village and dragged all the survivors off to slavery. I'm really, really sorry. I made a fearful mistake. You're certainly no Easterling. And lady Athwen, forgive my rudeness. It's true I have nothing for you to do right now. But with all these newcomers in camp, I would truly appreciate some help in preparing things in the morning before we set out on the trail. Perhaps, you'd like to help then and we could talk a bit."

Dorran stared down at the ground and shook his head, "It's hard. I know. You see, the same thing happened in my own village when I was a little child. It was a horrible day. Just horrible. My parents survived but my older brother was....." He stopped and backed awkwardly away, reluctant to say more. "Anyways, here's the food, and I hope you're both feeling better soon."

Leod

Leod turned towards Sythric and sighed, "I am sorry. I've said nothing to answer the question you posed to me, as to the health of Fion. If truth be told, I am siting here and wondering the same thing myself. He looks to be in amazingly good shape for one who has gone through what happened this afternoon. And yet, I wonder......"

Leod's voice drifted off before he began speaking again, "Sometimes there are wounds inside, ones that can't be seen to a healer. I just don't know if that is the case. The wound on the head is still nasty. Plus he has lost blood and is weaker than I would like to see, for one about to set out on a long journey. If the trip is light and easy, I don't imagine your friend will have any trouble. But if we must ride hard, if there are new blows or wounds, then, truthfully, I am not sure what might happen. Perhaps it would be best if he could journey more slowly and not try anything so ill advised as a madcap rush for Edoras. But, then, I am not a member of your party, and it is not I that must decide this...."

Last edited by Tevildo; 04-07-2006 at 11:56 AM.