View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #17
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I now have a wondrous vision of Johnny Depp (in the style of Captain Jack ) playing Boromir and explaining taking the ring from Frodo - it may be indelible..

But are we limited to actors who are alive now and are of approprate age? Or may I restore the dead to life and give youth to the withered?
Well, since the thread title is "ideal LotR cast", to me that implies we are discussing abstractions and hypotheticals rather than actuals, so I don't see why we cannot resurrect the dead and turn back the inexorable hands of time. We are playing author, after all, of a world of words. (Well, that's my take on discussion fora.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily Gamgee
It's really hard for me to pick another cast because the actors are engraved so much in my mind. I will admit that I didn't really enjoy how Merry was portrayed... and Frodo got kinda whiney. I don't know who I'd put in their places, though. I'd really have to hold my own, personal, audition :-) Johnny Depp is welcome to attend if he wants (though, I don't think I'd cast him
Well, as I said above, I think we can think of hypotheticals. Maybe we should identify what kind of vision we would have if we refilmed the movies? That might provide a framework in which to consider "applications." For instance, would this new "interpretation" include the kind of swashbuckling adventure aspects which PJ inherited from Lucas? Or would it be more drama-based? Would we move towards a David Lean kind of cinematic vision? (*insert name of other director here*). I mean, if I had thought of Zhang Yimou as director I might not have so impudently or blithely suggested Depp could take all roles.

But think of him in Neverland too, not just his pirate roles. The actor has mellowed as he has aged. Maybe a different role/character for each stage of his acting career?

Not that I would exclude others mind. Peter O'Toole? Alan Bates? Oliver Reed? Malcolm McDowall? Hmm. I must go back to imagine my directorial intent before choosing a cast.