View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 09:15 AM   #591
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Well, one of the "Endorians" needs to go to maintain the balance of the show.

Which leads me to direct my gaze on Celeborn once more.

Now, the hen-pecked husband thing does elicit some sympathy from me for him. But, really, he was supposed to be the wisest Elf in Middle-earth during the Third Age. If that was the case, then surely he could have stood up for himself a bit better.

And what did he actually achieve?

In the Second and Third Ages, he ruled over Lothlorien with Galadriel. He is said to be Lord of that realm. Yet it is clear who wore the trousers in that relationship. It was primarily Galadriel's power, and the power of her Ring, which maintained Lorien's defences. And it was she who, in reality, ruled there.

He is said to have been the wisest of all Elves. Yet, even a cursory glance at the Lothlorien chapters of LotR will reveal that Galadriel was by far the wiser of the two.

He is said to have been the greatest giver of gifts. Yet it was Galadriel who bestowed the most useful gifts on the Fellowship.

He commanded the army that conquered Dol Guldur. Yet it was Galadriel who destroyed its walls, thus rendering its defences ineffective.

Let's face it, Celeborn would have been nothing without Galadriel. And all that he did achieve relied heavily on her. As they are now in different tribes, this is becoming painfully and embarassingly apparent on the show. For trying to gain fame, notoriety and power through his wife's endeavours and not through his own efforts, I vote:

+ + CELEBORN