View Single Post
Old 03-12-2006, 01:03 AM   #426
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand Excuse me, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
However, due to a certain Moderator's stated threat of recounting votes so that only those with Tolkien-based reasoning (as judged by his own criteria) were counted, the voting REALLY fell as follows:
I rather hate to say it, but it appears to me that your criteria is simply based on how you want things to go. By your own admission, you counted all the non-Tolkien-based votes for Khamul just because you wanted to save Celeborn, and you have now taken your "stringent" stance to save Elrond. If you are to be the moderator you ought to give up "personal criteria" in the name of being fair and impartial. Moderators don't dictate the game, they simply observe and tabulate. I don't believe it should be the moderator's role to judge the votes, not secretly, and certainly not when said moderator admits to personal bias. And if you don't say whose votes you counted and whose you did not, that creates even more of an unfair, partial flavor to the whole thing. Because by leaving your "own criteria" un-explained you break the very rule you expect the other players to heed.

For one thing, it takes all the strategy and variants out of the game -- or, should I say, takes the Game out of the game. A strict, Tolkien-logic-only based discussion of character merits belongs in The Books. This is Middle-earth Mirth. If players aren't allowed to play a Survivor-esque game of Middle-earth Survivor, I'm not sure why anyone should bother.