View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #17
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe The suburbs of Lower-Middle-earth

This thread is worth resurrecting just so that we can compare Birdland's reaction with everyone else's. I also like burrahobbit's post above.

You know, it's quite sad in a way that what is at present a rather dull and uninteresting housing development with a silly and inappropriate Tolkien-inspired name (where's the dell? I don't see one, riven or otherwise) will in about forty years have 'Mordor' scrawled across its sign by a disillusioned resident. By then the buildings will be falling down, the overpaid ex-hippies who bought the houses will have moved to somewhere else (probably called Taniquetil Acres) and all that will be left to link the estate with its namesake will be the half-human status of some residents.

I'm almost sorry that this sort of thing doesn't seem to happen in England. Yes, town and estate planners choose names, apparently at random and often inappropriately, but over here they tend to pick 'great names of literature' or 'kings and queens' as their theme. Nobody to my knowledge has ever given their housing redevelopment a Tolkien theme. This has removed the opportunity for such gems as 'Isengard Crescent' and 'Glamhoth Close'. Shame.