View Single Post
Old 02-18-2006, 01:10 AM   #76
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Bregoware

Rædwald

‘Edoras,’ sighed Rædwald. ‘It lies at the very feet of the White Mountains. And before it spreads out the waving seas of grass, all green and lush upon which the great herds of the King’s horses run.’ He nodded, looking into the heart of the fire. ‘And when the sun shines, its rays strike the golden roof of the King’s Hall and are thrown out like a beacon of hope and glory for all to see.’ He took his stick and turned the potatoes in the hot ashes. ‘The banners of the King snap proudly in the breezes. You can hear them before you even reach the gates of the city.’ He looked at Fionn, his eyes shining with the memories of the first time he had seen the city. ‘A great pride swells up in you . . . seeing the white horse upon its field of green. You know the King is within and his authority holds sway over his lands.’

‘It’s an honorable dream, you know,’ he said softly. He kept his eyes focused on the potatoes as if they were the most important things in the world. Despite his joking attitude, the young man seemed to pay close attention to his words. ‘My family were goatherders. I, myself, have taken up that honorable profession now. ‘But in between those two points in this man’s life, there was the dream lived.’ He looked over at Fionn.

‘How old are you, lad?’ he asked, giving the young man an appraising look. ‘I had just seen my sixteenth year through when I left to ride in the ranks of the Riders. It was, as I said, not in the King’s own company. But it was in the eored of a Lord whose land abutted up against Edoras.’

‘Well, now, those days are over for me, eh? But you look a likely enough man to learn to ride and wield the lance . . .’ He gave Fionn a conspiratorial grin. 'That is, unless your chickens will not let you go!'

Last edited by Undómë; 02-18-2006 at 01:26 AM.