View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 12:45 AM   #65
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Bregoware

Rædwald

Leof sent me, Master Fionn. Meghan’s brother.’ Rædwald smiled, recalling his talk with Leof. ‘I believe he’s still a bit peeved that she managed to get chosen instead of him. And worse yet, of course, is the fact, she’s his little sister.’ The older man shrugged his shoulders. ‘Got a wife and babies to look after, Leof does. And so, here I am, in his stead, and to see that she makes it to and from the King’s hall safely - like a little niece that girl is to me.

Fionn had finished tethering the horses, and Rædwald gave an approving nod. ‘Better to have them closer in, as you’ve done,’ he said. ‘They’ll give alarm if anything is coming near and you’ll be able to get to them quickly should you need to.’

He unloaded his own mount and stacked his pack and weapons near his bedroll. The evening was getting cold and Rædwald was glad of the fire Fionn had built up. He drew near it and warmed his hands over the flames.

‘I’ve got some potatoes Leof sent along, over there in the burlap bag inside the canvas one,’ he said, pointing to where he’d piled his equipment. ‘They were busy packing up all the foods they could, you know – getting ready to set out. They’d just have been left for the birds and rodents to peck at.’ Rædwald retrieved a number of them and set to poking them in beneath the ashes at the base of the fire. He looked about, a frown on his face. ‘You have a little kettle somewhere? We can fill it with water and have something hot to drink by the time they get back.’ He fished about in his pack and pulled out a small pouch of dried mint leaves and rose hips. ‘Too bad we’ve no honey. I like my tea with honey. Ah well, I suppose we’ll just have to make do.’

Rædwald sat crosslegged on one of his blankets, poking the potatoes occasionally with a long stick he’d found. ‘Be interesting to see Edoras again,’ he said, keeping his eyes on the flames. ‘Never thought I would again. Served with the Riders back . . . well, a good number of years ago really. Not in the King’s own éored, of course. But still, we’ve seen some battles, my lance and I along side them.’

‘What about you, Master Fionn? You’re a young man . . . and fit enough. You ever thought of being a Rider?’

Last edited by Undómë; 02-17-2006 at 01:17 AM.