Thread: Outrage?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #210
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
This to me bears out some of my suspicions about Galadriel. In Middle-earth she is able to have her own realm and to exercise power, something she desires. That she desires it is borne out in both the wooing gifts of Celebrimbor which will bestow greater power, and her comment about the One Ring that she has 'desired' it at some point, whether to see if she can be the one to destroy it or use it I'm not commenting on here. When she says she will 'diminish' and go West, it is literally that - she will give up notions of power and independence as in the Undying Lands there are undoubtedly many Elves greater than she is and she will once more be but one of many.
And just to remind the point made earlier by davem, she is making the Lorien stand with the help of a craft, or technology (ie. the ring she has), and even having doubts', whether she should continue doing so, maybe taking the One Ring to settle things for the time being...

And if we interpret Tolkien being against all technological views' of the world, then also Galadriel is "damned". She also represents the age of the fallen, those who try to yield powers that make themselves slaves at the same time.

Holding Lorien blossoming, is against the turn of the tide. To try to reserve it, is a "blasbhemy", not yielding to the "natural" shape of events' unfolding. So she must wane. (She might have fought back, with her ring - or even with the One Ring - but in the end, she would have lost the battle). And there is heroism in her decline! She is the last to willfully deny technological might and freely wane herself out of power. So one of the elders', true kin to generations' that have passed before her. (Well, we could discuss Boromir or Faramir in here, but I think, they haven't the symbolical value of Galadriels' denial)

These "people" entangled themselves with the fortunes' of the ring. They beated the One Ring, just to build up their own society, based on principles' that the ring could vote for...?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote