View Single Post
Old 02-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
There is more than one type of symbolisim, obiously. But I find that, after reading TROTK and The Sil once again, I notice the biblical representation more than the nature vs. industrialisation theme, which is still very aparent.

Quote:
Now, to answer your question, Glirdan, it would be difficult to see Gandalf as God. Perhaps he could be seen as a god-like figure, or a Christ-figure,
Yes Laitoste, Gandalf is more of a Christ representation than a God-figure. However, there is still a possible God-figure. That being (no, not Eru because that debate is already being discussed at this point) Manwë, who can also be seen as a Christ-figure having been sent by Illuvatar to Arda. I can also see Frodo and Aragorn being Christ-figures as well. I know everything I said has been a bunch mumbling, however, there is something workin in the middle of this insanity. What I'm getting at is that there is, for me at least, a stronger biblical representation than the industrialisation representations. True, our beloved Professor goes into great detail about how Sauron and Saruman use machines a devilry at an attempt to concour their ennemies and that Gandalf and Tom use nature to aid them. I just find that the biblical part is stronger.